IP Aliasing

Subject: IP Aliasing
From: Jason P. Stanford (jps3@Lehigh.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 00:57:20 MST

  What is the proper way to implement IP aliasing into the various
config files? I have done this within linuxconf, but I want to be
certain that this will all happing if someone else needs to restart
(Linus forbid it), and I'm not here to make sure all of the 'route' and
'ifconfig's went properly (as a test '/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop'
then the same but 'start' showed it wasn't).

  I have one adapter and three IP#'s: 192.168.0.69, 192.168.0.77 and
192.168.0.152 on eth0 (as eth0, eth0:0 and eth0:1 respectively). Looking
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts there is only ifcfg-eth0. Should there
be some for the aliases? Or do they go into a different file?

  Also, for such a setup what should a proper routing table look like?
(I want to make certain I have this correct):

# netstat -r
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt
Iface
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
eth0
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0
lo
default foo.bar.xxx 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0
eth0

  Shouldn't there be reference for eth0 as 'UH' under Flags? Everything
seems to work just fine: sendmail, apache, netatalk, samba, etc. as is.
And netstat gives the following interface stats:

# netstat -i
Kernel Interface table
Iface MTU Met RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP
TX-OVR Flg
eth0 1500 0 19501834 323 27 0 22575304 282
0 0 BRU
eth0: 1500 0 - no statistics available -
BRU
eth0: 1500 0 - no statistics available -
BRU
lo 3924 0 178042 0 0 0 178042 0
0 0 LRU

  So, while everything seems just fine, what should I be worried about?
I don't have the luxury at the moment to do a power-off/power-on test to
try out the init scripts, but what should files should I be concerned
with? Thanks much!

--
Taurus: (April. 20--May 20)
Try as you might, you will be unable to convince the judge that the