Re: Linux and BeOS

Subject: Re: Linux and BeOS
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 07:49:13 MST

Quoting Jason P. Stanford (jps3@Lehigh.EDU) from Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at 12:53:42PM -0500:
> I have YDL running on several machines that BeOS doesn't support (G3's).
> I don't understand why Linux, and not BeOS, will run on these platforms.
> If Linux developers can figure it out, why not BeOS? (Then again, I'm
> hardly an expert on OS development!).

Because BeOS refuses to "reverse-engineer" the hardware. (In other words,
both *can* figure it out, the difference is that Linux *did*, and BeOS
is taking a political stand against Apple instead of producing an operating
system. You can guess which I run :-)

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services