Re: Linux and BeOS

Subject: Re: Linux and BeOS
From: Pierre Thibault (p.thibault@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 08:20:41 MST

>Quoting Jason P. Stanford (jps3@Lehigh.EDU) from Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at
>12:53:42PM -0500:
>> I have YDL running on several machines that BeOS doesn't support (G3's).
>> I don't understand why Linux, and not BeOS, will run on these platforms.
>> If Linux developers can figure it out, why not BeOS? (Then again, I'm
>> hardly an expert on OS development!).
>
>Because BeOS refuses to "reverse-engineer" the hardware. (In other words,
>both *can* figure it out, the difference is that Linux *did*, and BeOS
>is taking a political stand against Apple instead of producing an operating
>system. You can guess which I run :-)

By doing this, Be does just what Apple wants. It hard to do the
"reverse-engineer"? At the Be site, they seem to say that it is really
hard. I hope that Linux people are not wasting too much time and this
process and I hope that this situation will never stop them. Is this could
represents some danger?

Tib.