Re: Linux and BeOS

Subject: Re: Linux and BeOS
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 08:32:10 MST

Quoting Pierre Thibault (p.thibault@bigfoot.com) from Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 10:20:41AM -0500:
> >Quoting Jason P. Stanford (jps3@Lehigh.EDU) from Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at
> >12:53:42PM -0500:
> >> I have YDL running on several machines that BeOS doesn't support (G3's).
> >> I don't understand why Linux, and not BeOS, will run on these platforms.
> >> If Linux developers can figure it out, why not BeOS? (Then again, I'm
> >> hardly an expert on OS development!).
> >
> >Because BeOS refuses to "reverse-engineer" the hardware. (In other words,
> >both *can* figure it out, the difference is that Linux *did*, and BeOS
> >is taking a political stand against Apple instead of producing an operating
> >system. You can guess which I run :-)
>
> By doing this, Be does just what Apple wants.

I'm not sure I understand them either. I've a feeling that it might be
a graceful exit for them to support only Intel. But that belongs somewhere
other than yellowdog-general :-)

> It hard to do the "reverse-engineer"? At the Be site, they seem to
> say that it is really hard. I hope that Linux people are not wasting
> too much time and this process and I hope that this situation will
> never stop them. Is this could represents some danger?

Well, I've got yellowdog running our main University webservers on
Blue G3s, and they're purring along nicely, so for that hardware at
least it's already done. They've been doing a great job so far, and I
suspect it'll be the same as new hardware gets introduced..

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services