Re: HippieDog (clock problem)

Subject: Re: HippieDog (clock problem)
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 13:44:27 MST

>>did anyone have the same problem as myself? For some weeks now, the
>>time on my CS 1.1 system (B&W G3) is always set to 1-Jan-1970 at
>>boot time. How come, and what can I do about it? Running MacOS, the
>>sytem clock is just fine.

Which kernel are you using. I've got exactly the same problem, but with
2.2.6 it's ok, 2.2.10 isn't. Haven't tried any others. Unless you need a
later kernel you might find switching to 2.2.6 does the trick for you. I'm
also running on a B&W G3.

>I had a real hard time getting my Apple Network Server to keep proper
>time too. The OS gets time after a reboot from the CMOS clock. So
>first you have to set the time from within the OS:
>
>date -s 'november 29 10:50 1999'

just tried this, and it works fine. And it solves the problem of being
challenged for change my pasword everytime I log in. In hindsight that
makes sense. Ain't hindsight wonderful :-)

>Then set the CMOS clock from the OS time:
>
>/sbin/clock -w

but I don't have /sbin/clock on my system. I have /etc/sysconfig/setclock
but that calls /sbin/clock. It says something about /sbin/clock during
startup, I didn't quite catch it last time, but I'd assume it's saying it's
not there. Say something if that's not the case.

>/sbin/clock -s

Am I right thinking that this sets the system clock from the PRAM clock? If
so the absence of /sbin/clock explains things. Where can I get it from? But
how come it works ok under the 2.2.6 kernel? It's only the 2.2.10 kernel
that seems to have this problem. Not that it matters if I can get 2.2.10 to
work, but as a matter of curiousity ;-)

Cheers

Pete

--