Re: [newbie need help]

Subject: Re: [newbie need help]
From: Kayser Wong (kayserwong@writeme.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 04:49:51 MST

11/30/99 12:16 AM 11/30/99 12:16 AM

>Someone else can probably explain what to do much better but I'll give it a
>try...
>
>I think you need to run Xconfigurator to setup X.
>Then try typing startx at the command prompt.
>
>If you can get into X successfully from there, next you can edit your
>/etc/inittab (i think...) file to startup into runlevel 5 (...to go straight
>into X at startup).
>
>DO NOT attempt to startup directly to runlevel 5 if you can not use X
>successfully by typing startx after logging in.
>
>..hope that helps a little.

Thanks.

But how do I run x configurator?

And how much swap spce do you give to Linux? Is it correct to calculate
pt as double the ram? I have 256 MB of ram, and 512 MB of swap looks a
lot to me, can I give less to the swap and increase space to root instead?

I know these questions sound too basics for yu, sorry about tyhat. I'm
too new to Linux but sure like to try it out, thanks again.