Re: Apple Powerbook G3,400 Mhz, ATI Graphics

Subject: Re: Apple Powerbook G3,400 Mhz, ATI Graphics
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sun Oct 03 1999 - 06:23:30 MDT

Rob Comstock's bits of Tue, 28 Sep 1999 translated to:

My comments are based on my experience with a PowerBook G3 333MHz (one
of the Lombard/Bronze keyboard/May `99/insert 6 other names here models:).

> I am considering the purchase of a powerbook G3 and running linux. I
> - battery lasts almost twice as long
The machine doesn't know how to sleep under Linux, so battery lifetime
probably isn't going to be nearly as good as under MacOS. But I suppose
it will probably still be about twice what you would get from a Intel
Linux laptop.

> Does anyone out there have experience installing and using yellowdog
> server 1.1 on this type of machine? My Dell also uses the Rage LT
The basic install of CS 1.1 was a breeze. I had the system up and running
in about half an hour.

> Pro video chipset and I understand that XFreee version 3.3.5 now
The display is supported out of the box with no special tweaking.
Acceleration is not officially supported yet, but I think it is close;
if you are adventurous, you can supposedly find the pieces you need to
get acceleration with the frame buffer server or you can get the older
Xpmac server.

> Do the ethernet drivers support full duplex 100 Mbit connections?
> Switching between 10 and 100 hubs? Is the modem supported? The
Not sure about switching since I only have a pure 10 Mb LAN, but
everything works great at 10 Mb.

The modem is supported. I have used it with minicom a number of times
with no problems. Still struggling a bit with PPP, but at this point
I believe that is mostly an issue of figuring out what my ISP expects;
since I have a cable modem, I haven't put all that much effort into PPP.

My PowerBook is my first ever Mac and I bought it primarily for the
purpose of having a Linux laptop. So far I don't have a single regret.
Hope that holds up when I have to start actually paying for it ;)

Jim