Re: Cable modem/dhchp

Subject: Re: Cable modem/dhchp
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sun Oct 03 1999 - 18:15:28 MDT

This may or may not be helpful for your particular case, but in general
people might want to check on the precise policy for IP address allocation
with cable modem. My connection is through TCI/AT&T@Home and they apply
DHCP to distribute IP addresses, however they always give you the same
IP address. So they are actually assigning static IP addresses and just
doing it through DHCP as a convenience to users with officially supported
OS's that don't want/need to know anything about IP addresses. If your
provider uses similar policies, you can just figure out the IP, drop it
in as if it were static and be done with it. My two IP's have been working
fine this way for the last 9 months.

Jim

Pascal Robert's bits of Sun, 3 Oct 1999 translated to: