RE: G3 350/128 monitor settings...

Subject: RE: G3 350/128 monitor settings...
From: Joseph Markey (JMARKEY@bju.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 13:48:00 MDT

I am also having video problems. I have a B&W G3 rev 2 and installed
using the 2.2.6 kernel from Robert Shaw's G3 page. It all works except
that the screen defaults to 640x480. I am rather new to linux and need
to know how to change the monitor configuration. I have a 21" Apple
Studio display. Could anyone help with this.

Thank you,

Joseph

>>> Michael Messano <messano@dicomed.com> 10/4/99 3:36:54 PM >>>
>Hi all,
>
>Does anyone know how to speed up the screen refresh? I gotta use the
'no
>videodriver' option in BootX, otherwise Linux won't boot. But sceen
refresh
>rate is horribly slow (especially noticed when dragging windows). My
Mac
>screen runs at 1152 x 870 , 75 Hz. Got a B&W G3 350 btw
>Any advice would be appreciated...
>
>Philip

        There are a couple of considerations for your system. The
ATI Rage128 has preliminary support, but it is not very extensive at

this point. Depending on the edition of your kernel, the card is
supported. The best option, unless you feel like compiling a new
kernel with all the patches, is to download the latest stable kernel

with support for the Rage compiled in. From what I understand, the
latest kernel does have support built-in. (If I am wrong, somebody
please correct me!)
        The second option would be to visit Robert Shaw's G3 page for

Linux, and follow the detailed instructions for setting up your
kernel sources and compiling your very own kernel. The link is:
http://www.inficad.com/~rshaw/
        Good luck... I have my machine, the same as yours, set up
right now with the screen at 1600x1200, and the graphics are
acceptably fast. Some things, like shading a Netscape window are
horribly slow in WindowMaker, but other than that, it works great.

Michael

Windows is not the answer. Windows is the question.
: The answer is No.