Re: IMS and ATI

Subject: Re: IMS and ATI
From: Tom Pollard (pollard@schrodinger.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 14:17:02 MDT

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, frame wrote:
> Am I missing something here?

I didn't mean to send that; my finger slipped :-) I thinking about saying
that you definitely don't need to worry about the IMS TwinTurbo. That was
a PCI video card that they used in high-end PowerMacs a couple of years
ago (I have one in one of my PowerComputing clones.) Your powerbook
almost certainly has some flavor of ATI card, but I'm not an expert and I
don't know if there have been different cards in different g3 powerbooks.
Current powerbooks have ATI Rage Pro LT cards, which I think is a flavor
of Mach 64. But, other people know this stuff much better than I do and I
was going to let them respond to you.

Cheers,

Tom

> Tom Pollard wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, frame wrote:
> > > I am in the process of removing all X related Items from my YDL pbook g3
> > > to put on a clean xfree 3.3.5 install.
> > > My question is: what is IMS twin turbo? I get the impression it's a
> > > video card. Yet all the specs I've had from apple about this g3
> > > powerbook say it has an ATI Mach64 video card and makes no mention of
> > > IMS tt.
> > >
> > > can anyone enlighten me a little? which acceleration shuld I use?

W. Thomas Pollard Schrodinger, Inc.
pollard@schrodinger.com http://www.schrodinger.com/