Re: CS 1.1 Ratings

Subject: Re: CS 1.1 Ratings
From: Deirdre Saoirse (deirdre@linuxcare.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 15:04:29 MDT

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Jim Cole wrote:

> While more or less randomly hopping linux links, I ended up at Linuxcare
> (http://www.linuxcare.com) where they are running a poll on various Linux
> distributions (a product comparison in their terminology). Much to my
> surprise, YellowDog CS1.1 was all the way down at the bottom of the list.
> WAY down there, and not alphabetically.

You know, for a while, it was ahead of the pack. I don't monitor it
though. It does definitely look like it was spammed with negatives (much
like Slackware appears to have been spammed with positives).

> It looked very suspicious to me.

Me too. I've bcc'ed this to most of the web team, who will hopefully go
through the logs and remove the spam.

> To me, it appears that either the script is broken, or more likely someone
> with a gripe and too much time on their hands decided to try and give a good
> distro a bad name. Not sure what can be done about it, but maybe a few
> people might want to head over there and add their 2 cents. Linuxcare is
> probably not the kind of place where you want stats showing that one of your
> preferred distributions sucks.

More to the point, we *run* Yellow Dog. I personally run LinuxPPC these
days, but we run pretty much everything on every architecture here.

Anyhow, I'll see what I can do about it. Admittedly, I don't go to the
external web site that often and when I do, I tend to go to something
specific. If there's an issue, feel free to bring it to my attention. I
can't promise (as I'm not in that group) what will happen though.

--
Deirdre Saoirse, Systems Analyst, Linuxcare, Inc.
415.354.4878 x252 tel, 415.701.7457 fax