Re: CS 1.1 Ratings

Subject: Re: CS 1.1 Ratings
From: Andrew B. Arthur (arthur99@global2000.net)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 19:52:31 MDT

>> YellowDog CS1.1 was all the way down at the bottom of the list. WAY down
>> there, and not alphabetically.

>> It looked very suspicious to me. In each of the five categories rated, CS 1.1
>> had the same rating of 1.4 on a scale from 1 to 5. The total number of
>> ratings was 410 which was about the same as SuSE, twice that of Caldera, and
>> five times that of LinuxPPC.

hehe.. can you say script kidde? That's what it looks like, I don't think it
could have been rated 410 different people. The distro (and knowledge of
Linuxcare.com) isn't that great.

Actually, about a month ago Yellow Dog Linux was doing pretty good, being #1
PowerPC Linux distro (according to the poll), and within the top 5 overall.

>> To me, it appears that either the script is broken, or more likely someone
>> with a gripe and too much time on their hands decided to try and give a good
>> distro a bad name. Not sure what can be done about it

Not much you can do. It's just an informal poll, which neither us or
Linuxcare can really control, since registering by ip can cause problems,
and not registering by ip causes lamers to spam / mess up polls by voting
9999^999 Million times.

>> Linuxcare is probably not the kind of place where you want stats showing that
>> one of your preferred distributions sucks.

Sucks or Rules? I don't think most people really care who are over 13 or so.
No sane business person would base there choice of distro on a single poll
-- especially one with few comments on why such a low rating.

> I vote for this one too... email webmaster@linuxcare.com and complain :)

I am sure (s)he enjoys all of the mail and the hassle of this too. This is
why sites with polls have to do ridiculous things like put disclaimers
saying that if you use this poll data for anything serious, you should see a
doctor.

Thanks,

Andrew Arthur a.k.a. AArthur
arthur99@global2000.net