PPP bug?

Subject: PPP bug?
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 00:21:43 MDT

Ack! Bad Linux day for me. Thus I start my barrage of questions and
comments. And probably end up regretting the use of the word "bug" since
it ends up being somewhere between the brain and keyboard 99.8% of the
time. Anyhow...

I almost exclusively connect to the Internet through my LAN which has a
cable modem connected gateway. However, I have been playing with PPP
lately just so that it will be ready to go if my PowerBook and I need to
be away from home. Working through the LAN, Netscape is no more buggy and
unreliable than it is on any other platform and it has never seriously
trashed my system. During the last couple weeks I have spent maybe a
total of 40 minutes connected via PPP (internal PowerBook modem detected
as cobalt) and have had Netscape hang the system three times; so badly
that no key sequences would break me out and eventually the machine just
rebooted on its own, seriously damaging my file system the last time.

Similar comments regarding Netscape hangs under PPP have shown up on this
list in the past, however I thought it might be meaningful that, at least
in my case, it seems to be PPP/serial port related rather than just a
general Netscape thing.

My machine is a new PowerBook G3 333MHz with no upgrades or non-standard
accessories. It was running a stock CS 1.1 distro with all of the
package updates applied.

Jim