spreading of Linux

Subject: spreading of Linux
From: Evan Read (eread@netaccess.co.nz)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 14:17:04 MDT

<BIG ASS SNIP>

>A great deal of our money to donate machines to developers. All of the
>major developers have gotten machines, and we're branching out to new,
>non-PPC developers. That's where a lot of the money goes. Buy
>LinuxPPC, and you're sponsoring more than just a company. Is it worth it
>to pay an extra $8 if it means we'll have machines working more quickly?
>I think so. Because of our developer donation and sponsorship program,
>we had working USB on the iMac almost instantly. That has payed off
>immensely, as every machine Apple's released since then has had USB on
>board.

Speaking of giving machines to developers, anyone seen a recent article
about PC Game developers spouting off about Apple relations?

http://www.maccentral.com/news/9910/07.criticism.shtml

No doubt the full truth is a lot more complicated but still I am ashamed
that Apple hasn't given willing developers build machines (I thought it was
about developer unwillingness)....

Naturally, you wouldn't waste your money giving machine to non-Linux
developers, but these guys are trying for PPC so perhaps YDL (with some of
its game accouncements) and LinuxPPC Inc could chat to some of these guys
about sticking with PPC but going with a different platform? They sound
like they need a good dose of evangelism right now...

Dan has said that Linux on PPC will get many games before MacOS... that is
cool. But things really begin to kick ass when we get simultaneous Wintel
and Linux (all the platforms they can do) releases....

What I am saying is that all of these named developers are worth machines
if they look at Linux in some way ;)

>Greater value to the user, greater value to the community. High-end
>support available. 'nuff said.

Hehe... that is why I plan to use Linux on my iMac rather than purchasing
MacOS X.... ;)

Cyas

Ev.

--