Re: Mach64 vs FBDev

Subject: Re: Mach64 vs FBDev
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Sat Oct 09 1999 - 11:11:44 MDT

> But what exactly is FBDev? It has no acceleration, so why use it over Mach64?

Sure it does, FBDev is the Framebuffer X server. If your video card has 2d
accel.. such as the Rage Pro, you'll have faster X.

> My problem with it is that if I leave X idle for about 5 minutes it exits
> saying that a function was called that wasn't implemented in FBDev, something
> like GETCMAP...

Run what I told you before, that'll fix your problem.

> Greg
>

> P.S. Is there some reason why Mach64 can't be used? or is this just a
> conscious choice by the YDL team?

FBDev is better technology and what everyone (x86 dists too) are probably
moving to. We use it now because it's an improvement over Xpmac.

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
   Yellow Dog Linux
   http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/