Re: Compiling help

Subject: Re: Compiling help
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sat Oct 09 1999 - 20:20:07 MDT

Assuming that the packages were cleanly installed, it sounds like your
path setting is missing some important information. You should start by
checking to see that gcc and g++ really exist in the /usr/bin directory;
might also want to check that there are cc and c++ symlinks to gcc and
g++, respectively in the same directory. This "should" all be fine
without any intervention on your part.

If that looks good, you should next try doing a "printenv PATH"
from the shell you are using to attempt your build. The output of that
command should include /usr/bin among other things. If it doesn't, then
execute one of the following commands, depending on the type of shell
you are using...

sh-ish shells:
PATH=/usr/bin:${PATH}
export PATH

csh-ish shells:
setenv PATH /usr/bin:${PATH}

Then retry your build from the same shell.

If the above doesn't solve your problem, then there is probably something
wrong with either the RPM or your install. I would suggest verifying that
the RPM is really intended for your platform and then maybe removing and
reinstalling the compiler RPMs.

Jim

John Olson!'s bits of Sat, 9 Oct 1999 translated to: