filesystem size vs. physical size

Subject: filesystem size vs. physical size
From: Aurel Wisse (wisse@sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 08:55:10 MDT

Hardware: iMac Rev. B, 4GB/160MB.

Problem: When booting into YDL, I get at one point:
swapon /dev/hda8: Invalid Argument [failed]
Checking root filesystem
/dev/hda7 filesystem size (according to superblock) is 1064835 blocks
physical size is 983040.
... bla bla bla ... [failed]

This is my partition table (according to pdisk):
Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
 #: type name length base ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
 2: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh 54 @ 64
 3: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh 74 @ 118
 4: Apple_Patches Patch Partition 512 @ 192
 5: Apple_HFS untitled 5242880 @ 704 ( 2.5G)
 6: Apple_HFS untitled 2 1048576 @ 5243584 (512.0M)
 7: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root 1966080 @ 6292160 (960.0M)
 8: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 163590 @ 8258240 ( 79.9M)
 9: Apple_Free Extra 10 @ 8421830

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=8421839 (4.0G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1: @ 64 for 19, type=0x701
2: @ 118 for 32, type=0xf8ff

This is what I did:

I reformatted my 4GB hard disk.
Partition 5 is HFS+ (is this the problem?)
Partition 6 is HFS (with small system + BootX to boot into YDL)
The other partition (7) was intitially unallocated. Within the RedHat
installer,
using pdisk, I created partitions 7 (root) and 8 (swap).

Another funny thing:
When I am booting into partition 5, the sizes of the disks are: hda5:
1.8GB, hda6: 189MB (as read from Get Info)
But ewhen I am booting into partition 6 I get: hda5: 2GB, hda6: 26MB (also
from Get Info).

Hmmm, what did I mess up?
Will the problems go away if I reformat hda and make all my partitions HFS?
Or is there a way to tweak the superblock such that it coincides with the
partition table?

Aurel Wisse