Re: powerbook g3

Subject: Re: powerbook g3
From: jim hopper (hopperj@macconnect.com)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 17:18:54 MDT

>jim hopper's bits of Mon, 11 Oct 1999 translated to:
>
> > I have a 300mhz g3. i have to install yellowdog with no graphics
> > hardware. is there any support for the version of rage chip on the
> > g3 powerbook?
>The rage chip should be supported under X by both the XF68_FBDev
>(standard with CS1.1) and Xpmac servers. With the new PowerBook, I
>just selected the "No Video Driver" option and the default install
>worked with XF68_FBDev; with the newest kernel and some tweaking,
>it is possible to also get hardware acceleration. According to what
>has come across this list and what I have seen on a couple sites,
>you should be able to get things going with your particular flavor
>of PowerBook.
>
>What exactly do you mean by "have to install with no graphics hardware"?
]

Perhaps i misinterpreted what No Video Driver means. i assumed that
this ment that there was no specific driver for the hardware in
question and that it then used a generic driver.

its just that dragging windows around and such seems kind of slow.
slower than on machten on the same powerbook it seems?

thanks jim

At a recent computer software engineering course in the US, the participants
were given an awkward question to answer. "If you had just boarded an
airliner and discovered that your team of programmers had been responsible
for the flight control software, how many of you would disembark
immediately?"
                     unknown author