3-button serial mouse problems

Subject: 3-button serial mouse problems
From: Myles Vredenburg (mvredenburg@global2000.net)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 19:40:24 MDT

I'm trying to get my el-cheapo 3-button serial mouse working under X to
no avail. It's an InterAct model SV-708A if that means anything to
anyone (i.e. I'm not sure if it's a MouseSystems, Microsoft, etc.). It
works reasonably well with gpm. I can select text using the left button
and paste it using the right button. It does not work under X. The
mouse cursor moves, but none of the buttons work. I've tried every
serial mouse protocol known to XF86. Any suggestions?

BTW, the serial mouse is plugged into the printer port of my Power Mac
7600 using a pc-to-mac serial adapter that came with a Palm Pilot
cradle.

TIA,
Myles