kvt bug

Subject: kvt bug
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 23:56:52 MDT

I encountered a bug with kvt in the stock CS 1.1 distribution. I was able
to duplicate it with two other distributions, but didn't find anything of
interest on my first scan though Deja and and KDE archives. So I figured I
would check to see if anyone here knows anything about it before I start
digging deeper.

If you try to paste a large amount of text into anything running in a kvt
terminal (vi, pico, etc.) or directly to the terminal, kvt will appear to
freeze up. If you do a ps ax you can see that the terminal in question
is just spinning its wheels eating up CPU time. The same pastes can be
done using a generic xterm with no problems.

Btw, if you try this, purposely or accidentally, make sure you manually
kill the process before you log out. If you don't, it locks X/kdm and
you have to three finger salute your way out of X.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or heard anything about it?

Jim