Re: High Pitched Squeal from G3 PB Flat Panel

Subject: Re: High Pitched Squeal from G3 PB Flat Panel
From: Andrew B. Arthur (arthur99@global2000.net)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 16:25:28 MDT

>> FWIW, my 7600 emits the same annoying sound, with and without the CPU
>> heat sink grounding clip installed.

If you are having a whine on a Macintosh (or any computer) with a CRT and
get lots of static on AM radio when trying to listen to remote station, then
most likely your monitor is set to a horizontal frequency 60 Hz. Besides an
extremely painful whine, this frequency makes your monitor flicker, because
it is refreshing so slowly. Over 70 hz should fix that problem. I run my
Apple Vision 15 at 768x1024 at 75hz in Linux -- you might have another
preference.

Another place for interference (especially on AM radio again) is SCSI
cables. They may be lose, have damaged shielding or really old.

Thanks,

Andrew Arthur a.k.a. AArthur
arthur99@global2000.net
AIM: arthur998