Recipient is not acceptable to your SMTP Server Error

Subject: Recipient is not acceptable to your SMTP Server Error
From: Bill Colston (wcolston@sd23.bc.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 18:34:52 MDT

I just installed Yellowdog Linux a couple of days ago and I was really
impressed by the installer. I have only installed Linux three or four
times (all LinuxPPC R4) and this was the smoothest install I have had.
Everything worked the first time! (almost).

There is one problem beyond my limited experience. I need to use Eudora to
send and receive email for some of my users. I can download email from the
server via Eudora but I cannot send email via Eudora to anyone who does not
have our domain name as part of their email address. In other words, I can
use Eudora to send email only to those accounts that have been created for
our server. When sending email via Eudora to users with accounts that are
not part of our domain, that is accounts I didn't create, I get the
following message:

The recipient, "foobar@foobar.com" is not acceptable to your SMTP server.
The message is not sendable until "foobar@forbar.com" is changed.

If I telnet in and use PINE I can send email to anyone, in any domain.

I have uncommented the appropriate lines in /etd/inetd.conf regarding Pop3
email. I assume that there is some part of the configuration that I have
missed. I used to be able to do this on our old LinuxPPC R4 server but I
don't remember doing anything special to enable it.

I have checked the archive but could not find any reference to this problem
and the sendmail configuration file is beyond my ability to decipher.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Bill