Re: MP3 File Support

Subject: Re: MP3 File Support
From: Todd Masco (cactus@hks.net)
Date: Thu Oct 14 1999 - 11:39:02 MDT

Rob Comstock wrote:

> Good Morning All:
>
> Anyone have an application built for playing MP3 files on PPC?
> Tried kmp3, x11amp, and mxaudio - no luck so far.

xmms comes with CS 1.1, and it works fine. I have about 3 GB of mp3s
(which will soon be 20 GB as I rip and store my CD collection) and use
xmms to play them.

I also built mpg123, and it works great too.

If xmms isn't working for you, first check that esd isn't running...
second thing to check is that your mp3 are actually correct mp3s. Some
of the encoding tools are very difficult to build properly (though easy
to build incorrectly) on PPC.

        -- Todd Masco
           Hell's Kitchen Systems, Inc.