Re: YDL w/ISDN on Imac--Info?

Subject: Re: YDL w/ISDN on Imac--Info?
From: John L Grantham (jgrantha@hannover.sgh-net.de)
Date: Thu Oct 14 1999 - 14:13:31 MDT

On 14.10.99 7:30 pm, Russ W. Urquhart at urqurw@aud.alcatel.com was
inspired to say:

>I'm new to the list, so if this has been asked or solved before, I apologize.
>
>My question is: My girlfriend is going to be able to access her work from
>home
>via an ISDN line. She wants to buy an imac and put Linux on it. My
>question is
>has anyone here done this, what hardware is needed or should we buy? I'm
>told
>YDL will support any ISDN modem connected via USB is this true and the
>best way
>to go?

It's not quite that easy. Not all modems or ISDN terminal adapters are
Linuxable, since some (like those from Sagem) are softmodems--i.e. they
require a driver, and none that I know of have any such thing for Linux.
(Sagem refuses to make one, at least when I talked to them.)

AFAIK the Acer T series ISDN modems work fine with Linux, since they
don't require a driver and respond to normal AT commands (those being the
two main requirements for using any given modem with Linux). As for other
ISDN modems, I can't tell you--up until now I only had a Linux-phobic
Sagem ISDN adapter, and just today my family-in-law got an Acer for their
iMac (which won't be getting Linux--too little space on the HD and they
are too inexperienced to deal with Linux anyway). So that's the extent of
my ISDN Mac experience...

The other thing to watch out for is how to address the USB port.
LocalTalk modems are easy, since they are either at /dev/ttyS0 or
/dev/ttyS1, but I haven't the foggiest where the USB port is on the dev
tree. Anybody know?

cya

John

---