Re: v2.2.12 and a bronze Powerbook G3

Subject: Re: v2.2.12 and a bronze Powerbook G3
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 23:47:19 MDT

Graham Leggett's bits of Tue, 19 Oct 1999 translated to:

> Jim Cole wrote:
>
> > You don't need to pass any video mode parameters if "No Video Driver" is
> > checked. You "should" be able to just boot the new kernel without
> > hardware acceleration, and then start playing with the setup for
> > acceleration.
>
> I got it working by following the instructions at
> http://www.loomer.com/linuxppc/#lombard. Is there something additional
> to this that I need to do to switch on acceleration?

If you are using the kernel params listed on that site along with at least
the relevant sections of their XF86Config file, you probably already have
hardware acceleration. If you look at the messages X dumps to the screen
as it comes up, it should tell you whether you have acceleration and
correct detection of your video ram.

Jim