Problems with BootX 1.1.3 and new Kernel

Subject: Problems with BootX 1.1.3 and new Kernel
From: Getafix (getafix@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 08:17:16 MDT

Box: B&W 350 G3

Problem: BootX 1.1.3, Kernel 2.2.12

I have been running with 1.1.1 Bootx with 2.2.6 kernel and without
any problems until I upgraded to 2.2.12 Kernel. When running the
BootX app and after selecting linux the screen would clear and go
black and then would show the new kernel version I am running at the
top left of the screen and some x000000 stuff and would just hang in
that screen indefinitely. Usually what would happen is after this
appears only for a split second the screen clears then the penguin
appears at that spot and the rest of the process happens as normal.

OK...

I then downloaded and installed Bootx 1.1.3.
        1st - when the computer restarts and the BootX app appears
and I click on linux it hangs for ever.
        2nd - if when just copping over the new BootX and run it
without restarting the system the BootX app closes out a desktop
window disappears and you hear the monitor click like it is switching
screen modes but the screen stays the same and the systems comes to a
complete halt and freezes.

Try to
Solve: Ran kernel 2.2.6 with BootX 1.1.1 - no problems
        Ran kernel 2.2.6 with BootX 1.1.3 - system freezes
        Ran kernel 2.2.12 with Bootx 1.1.1 - screen clears, show some
x0000000 #'s and freeze
        Ran kernel 2.2.12 with Bootx 1.1.3 - system freezes

Can any one help me with this awful situation? I am still a newbie
who have been working on my system and get it up and running so my
abilities are still a bit raw....

Thank you,

Adam

        Adam Done,