Re: rpm problem with yellowdog

Subject: Re: rpm problem with yellowdog
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 12:31:54 MDT

simon warrington's bits of Fri, 22 Oct 1999 translated to:

> I figured that it wasn't an rpm problem. I was curious as to whether
> Yellowdog is in fact a different beast to Linux running on a non-PPC box.
>
> So, I guess software written for "Linux" won't necessarily work on
> Yellowdog. Is that correct?

Well... yes and no ;) Most often software written for Linux will compile
and run on a number of different architectures with little or no modification.
However compiled code for a non-PPC architecture will not work on a PPC
architecture. The main point here is that you are dealing with hardware
architecture issues, not "Linux" vs. "Yellow Dog" issues; the core piece
of the Yellow Dog distribution is the Linux kernel, so it is as much
"Linux" as any other distribution.

Jim