Problem with 2.2.12 kernel

Subject: Problem with 2.2.12 kernel
From: Josep M. Lucas (jm.lucas@qf.ub.es)
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 01:08:44 MDT

I have tried to change the kernel 2.2.6 to the 2.2.12 version downloaded
from ftp.yellowdoglinux.com. in my Blue G3 400MHz. The booting process
(with BootX 1.1.3) and everything seems to be OK (well, there are, of
course, the keyboard definition problems, but I think these are not
difficult to solve). The important question is that the new kernel
cannot see the real amount of RAM I have installed. I have 640 Mb of
physical RAM (2x256Mb+1x128Mb DIMMs), and these were seen without
problems by the older 2.2.6 kernel, but the new one only give 256Mb as a
result of the "free" command.

Can anyone give me a guide to solve this problem? Is there any parameter
in building the kernel which can limit the maxim amount of RAM? In
fact, the 2.2.6 kernel also had given me some kind of problem with RAM,
as it hangs in booting if there are 768 Mb installed on (working OK in
MacOS), but I think this is a different problem. Is there any parameter
that must be passed to the kernel in BootX to indicate the RAM
installed?

If the answer is that I need to build my own kernel, where can I get the
information about the parameters that must be changed to solve this
problem?

Thanks for your help!