LinuxPPC on RS/6000 43P-100 (7248) Another one Working !!

Subject: LinuxPPC on RS/6000 43P-100 (7248) Another one Working !!
From: Alberto Varesio (Alberto.Varesio@Pmail.net)
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 01:41:28 MDT

I know it's not a new thing, but
I'm pleased to add my WS to the list of
IBM RS/6000 43P running LinuxPPC-1999 !

My 43P :
 7248-100
   Integrated PCI Ethernet - PCnet/PCI
   Integrated VGA
   Integrated SCSI controller - NCR 53c810 rev 1
   Integrated Sound
 64Mb Ram
 2 x 2.0Gb SCSI disks
 4.0 Gb External SCSI disk
 PS/2 3 button Mouse

I digged and asked around for floppy boot images, but I had to wait for a
working set, which appeared on the LinuxPPC site just a few weeks ago.
ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-1999/install/PREP-CHRP-BeBox/
         PREP.install.floppy
         PREP.install.image

Then following some install instructions I managed to have it running.

  http://www.linuxppc.com/updates/r5-prep-install.shtml
  http://www.digital-wisdom.com/rs6000.html
  http://ppc.linux.or.jp/~aoshimak/install.html

Sound and X11 still don't work, but I hope someone is working on them.

I will publish the full story later on my site ...

Thanks to anyone who helped me during these months !!

Since I did this with LinuxPPC, I hope I'm able to do the same with YDL,
but I think Installer is different, isn't it ?
I hope pub/yellowdog/champion-1.1/ppc/install/ramdisk.image.gz is the image to
load to have YDL installer. If not, please point me to the right one.
I've also seen zImages under PReP and RS6000, which will work with this HW?
Can I use which image to do a two or three floppy boot like with LinuxPPC ?

Thanks

--
 Alberto Varesio - AIX Support Professional             Phone: +39-011-41581-11
 EDIST Spa          >>> Crack RC5-64 Moo @ <<<          Fax:   +39-011-41581-80