Adding Ethernet Cards, and config issues

Subject: Adding Ethernet Cards, and config issues
From: Benjamin Lowengard (ben@tiac.net)
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 10:15:20 MDT

Hi folks,
I added a 10/100 Asante card to my PowerComputing g3upgraded Linux Box
and I'm having trouble figuring out how to reset ethernet to the new card.
So here are some specific questions:
  I assume that Linux sees any ethernet that's there. How do i specify
which card
is which? Does the new card take on the role of eth0 ? I haven't had
problems when
my old (on board) ethernet was set-up. Since I added the card,
ethernet doesn't work
on eth0 and eth1. (I get "can't find dns" ) How can I distinguish
between the two
ethernet busses? (ultimately, one goes to a cable modem and the other to
a hub)
also,
Can I remove ypbind without dire consequences? When I go in as root,
I always get
ypbind errors even when I had networking working.

thanks
benj

benjamin lowengard*ben@tiac.net*ben@mediaone.net
   ***Luxurious living with prefabricated technology***