Newbie questions

Subject: Newbie questions
From: Paul Greene (pgreene@phoenix.net)
Date: Wed Oct 27 1999 - 22:24:03 MDT

I have Power Macintosh, model 7200, laying around that I'd like to put to
use as a web, proxy, and e-mail server for an office of 6-10 people.

I have some experience with Linux on Intel based computers but never on Mac
hardware. What are the pros and cons of using Mac/Linux vs. Intel/Linux?

And what about software? i.e. can you run any application written for Linux
on a Mac (for instance Word Perfect or Star Office)? or do you need to have
something compiled specifically for Yellowdog?

I'm guessing that since Yellowdog is made for a narrower range of more
specific hardware than Linux on an Intel based system that installation
would tend to be smoother and less troublesome. Is that an accurate
assumption?

Hmmm, that's enough for now; I'm sure more questions will pop up when I
actually start to get into it.

Regards,

Paul Greene