Re: mounting and ppp (revised)

Subject: Re: mounting and ppp (revised)
From: JP Rosevear (jpr@arcavia.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 21:34:10 MDT

Allen & Maura Harrison wrote:

> The errors I get with regard to my first question:
>
> In trying to mount the floppy:
> "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0 or too many
> mounted filesystems."
>
> In trying to mount the cdrom:
> "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device"

> 1.
> How do I mount my floppy, internal zip, and cdrom? I have tried every
> combination of mount command, specifying every type and mount point, and
> none work (e.g. "mount -t hfs /dev/fdo /mnt/floppy" ; "mount -t auto
> /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" ; and other permutations as listed in the man pages.
> Sometimes I get an error (515?). In any case I can not seem to mount these
> devices. I want all users to be able to access the devices.
>
> My fstab looks like this:
> /dev/sdc5 / ext2 defaults 1 1
> /dev/sdc4 swap swap defaults 0 0
> /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy ext2 noauto 0 0
> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto, ro 0 0
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
>
> The zip is /dev/sdb and is present in neither the fstab nor the mtab.

Ok, lets start with the basics, sorry if you already did all this.

Type: ls -al /mnt

Do the floppy and cdrom directories show up?

Type: ls -al /dev/cdrom

Is there a cdrom symlink and to what device does it point to?

Is the floppy in the drive and formatted as an HFS (mac) disk?

-JP

JP Rosevear				jpr@arcavia.com
Arcavia Software Ltd.			http://www.arcavia.com
(905) 853-7714