Re: Accelerated X - and my first expereinces with Linux....

Subject: Re: Accelerated X - and my first expereinces with Linux....
From: Benjamin Karas (bjk4@po.cwru.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 06 1999 - 01:09:22 MDT

I'll at least answer some of the configuration questions. There are two
main configuration programs for GNOME/Enlightenment.

e-conf configures Enlightenment, which is the window manager. This
controls the appearance of the outside of each window and does a few other
things too. Enlightenment might be slow on your machine, in which case I
personally recommend Window Maker, which can be a pain to setup, but is
nice afterwards.

gnomecc configures Gnome, which works with the inside of windows.

You can find the settings to the edge-wrap in one of the above (I forget
which) along with many other fun settings to play with.

If you have Window Maker, there might be a few issues (these might be
fixed, or unique to me, so use your judgement.) To start, I ran
wmaker.inst to setup my configuration files. However, the file
~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu had an extra comma at the end which
prevented Window Maker from running. Once I noticed this, I found that
wmaker didn't have the correct mouse settings. I fixed this by double
clicking the third-to-top tile on the upper right to run WPref
(/usr/X11R6/lib/GNUstep/Apps/WPrefs.app/WPrefs) and to set the first mouse
button to 'Applications menu'. I liked sloppy mouse focus, but I had to
edit the config file by hand to do this... (FocusMode = sloppy). There
is another program that I have not tried yet called wmakerconf.

Question:
What is the preferred way of changing your window manager. I
personally changed .Xclients

-Benjamin Karas

ps. If I offended anyone with my description of
Gnome/Enlightenment/Window Maker, I'm deeply sorry as I don't know the
proper descriptions.