Re: Sorry easy question.

Subject: Re: Sorry easy question.
From: Don Arbow (donarb@nwlink.com)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 16:03:11 MDT

On 9/7/99 at 12:23 PM, John Olson! wrote:

: To whom it may concern-
:
: This is an esay question but I haven't been able to find the
: ansewer in any FAQs. When people ask if you can run standard linux
: binaries on YDL people always reply that sure as long as you recompile
: them. How does one go about recompiling the source code for a program?
:
:

What follows is not a complete tutorial on compiling, but touches on the high
points. Every source package is a little different, but what I've written below
applies to a majority of packages out there. Once unpacked, you should look for a
README or INSTALL file in the source folder. This will have specific instructions
for compiling, installing and any prerequesites.

The basic procedure goes something like this:

First you need a source package, either an .rpm or .tar.gz. I usually download
those packages in the /tmp directory. Then you need to unpack them.

for rpm: rpm -ivh package.name.src.rpm

for tar: tar xvzf package.name.src.tar.gz

rpm may put the files into another directory heirarchy, like /usr/src/redhat. Tar
should just put the files into the same directory. Change your working directory
into that source directory.

First, run configure, this sets up options for the compiler. You may get errors
here, if you don't have a certain library installed that your source package
needs. If so, install that library and rerun configure.

   ./configure

Then, run make (This does the compiling):

   make

Then, possibly run the install (This moves the files into the correct directory
for execution):

   make install

The make script may also have options like 'make test' to test the program prior
to installing it.

Don