kernel 2.2.12

Subject: kernel 2.2.12
From: Bernie Mentink (ebike@paradise.net.nz)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 02:07:04 MDT

Neil Jolly wrote:
1. Download your desired kernel ie 2.2.12 is the latest stable version

> 2. cd /usr/src
> 3. Rename linux directory to linux.old
> 4. unpack the kernel in the /usr/src directory
> 5. recreate symbolic links to point to new kernel
> cd /usr/include
> rm -rf asm linux scsi
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-ppc asm
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi
> 6. cd /usr/src/linux
> 6.a. do a make mrproper if making kernel if this is not first attempt
at
> building the kernel
> 7. make pmac_config
> 8. make config
> 9. choose your desired options in make config, taking your time &
reading
> help as required
> 10. make dep
> 11. make clean
> 12. make vmlinux
> 13. make modules
> 14. make a back up copy of /lib/modules/ just in case
> 15. cd /usr/src/linux
> 16. make modules_install
> 17. copy /usr/src/linux/vmlinux.2.2.whatever to your system folder on
your
> mac boot disk
> 18. copy /usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot
> 19. reboot and enjoy your new kernel
>
> I don't think I've missed anything there, but if somebody can add to
these
> instructions please do
>
> --
> Neil Jolly
> (with Yoda-like voice)
> "Confrontation leads to anger... Anger leads to fear... Fear leads
> to using Windows NT in mission-critical combat systems... And this is

> how the ancients fell...

Neil,

Thanks for the above. Some questions.

Were is the best site to get this kernel?
Does 2.2.12 support the Contour Unimouse like the updated 2.2.6-16b
does?
Also, what advantages does it have over 2.2.6, better USB support etc?

Thanks for your time,
Bernie.

--

-- -------------IMAC YELLOWDOG LINUX-------------- Bernie Mentink Email: ebike@paradise.net.nz -----------------------------------------------