Re: Setiathome Client

Subject: Re: Setiathome Client
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 08:24:31 MDT

Quoting Reid Ellis (rae@tnir.mef.org) from Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 09:01:23AM -0400:
> Evan Read <evan@netaccess.co.nz> said:
> > If any of you guys are truly interested, get it at
> > http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu
> >
> > I think you should all join the YDL rc5 team though ;)
>
> rc5 is twiddling bits for the sake of twiddling bits. SETI has a *purpose*,
> albeit not a very likely one. :-)

While I noticed the smiley, I can't let this one pass by. SETI has a
scientific purpose, and rc5 has a political purpose. Whether or not
that political purpose is aligned with yours, or whether or not the
cryptographic restrictions rc5 is trying to demonstrate to be absurd
apply in your jurisdiction, it might not be a purpose you find useful.
But there's definitely a purpose.

(For what it's worth, I find defending the rights of the intelligent
life right here to be a higher priority than scanning radio waves for
patterns.)

See <http://www.eff.org/pub/Privacy/> for further information.

  -r.

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services