Re: kernel 2.2.12

Subject: Re: kernel 2.2.12
From: Michael (mmessano@gumption.com)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 08:31:07 MDT

Bernie Mentink wrote:

> Neil Jolly wrote:
> 1. Download your desired kernel ie 2.2.12 is the latest stable version
>
> > 2. cd /usr/src
> > 3. Rename linux directory to linux.old
> > 4. unpack the kernel in the /usr/src directory
> > 5. recreate symbolic links to point to new kernel
> > cd /usr/include
> > rm -rf asm linux scsi
> > ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-ppc asm
> > ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
> > ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi
> > 6. cd /usr/src/linux
> > 6.a. do a make mrproper if making kernel if this is not first attempt
> at
> > building the kernel
> > 7. make pmac_config
> > 8. make config
> > 9. choose your desired options in make config, taking your time &
> reading
> > help as required
> > 10. make dep
> > 11. make clean
> > 12. make vmlinux
> > 13. make modules
> > 14. make a back up copy of /lib/modules/ just in case
> > 15. cd /usr/src/linux
> > 16. make modules_install
> > 17. copy /usr/src/linux/vmlinux.2.2.whatever to your system folder on
> your
> > mac boot disk
> > 18. copy /usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot
> > 19. reboot and enjoy your new kernel
> >
> > I don't think I've missed anything there, but if somebody can add to
> these
> > instructions please do
> >
> > --
> > Neil Jolly
> > (with Yoda-like voice)
> > "Confrontation leads to anger... Anger leads to fear... Fear leads
> > to using Windows NT in mission-critical combat systems... And this is
>
> > how the ancients fell...
>
> Neil,
>
> Thanks for the above. Some questions.
>
> Were is the best site to get this kernel?
> Does 2.2.12 support the Contour Unimouse like the updated 2.2.6-16b
> does?
> Also, what advantages does it have over 2.2.6, better USB support etc?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Bernie.

Bernie,
page here:

http://www.inficad.com/~rshaw/g3_kernel_howto.shtml
    It has a procedure for updating the USB package, although I am unsure
if it applies to all PPC machines, or if the uUSB package referenced is
strictly for B&W G3's. One caveat: it details how to add an upadated USB
sub-tree and how to set it to be recognized. Check it out, and I hope it
helps. As far as the best site for getting the kernel, generally a mirror
site is best. They are updated at varying times, but they should all have
the same source files.

Michael