Re: Star Office

Subject: Re: Star Office
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 07:52:59 MDT

Quoting David Barnum (barnum81@earthlink.net) from Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 11:02:25PM -0400:
> Has anyone tried to run star-office on YDl, should I get it or what

Color me naive, but I don't see it available for linux on ppc. Or
have you found something I missed?

For what it's worth, I ran it on a linux/intel machine for a while;
it's a hell of an MS Office clone, inasmuch as it's possibly the
third most bloated piece of software in the world :-)

Actually, it's probably not so bad; I'm not the sort that uses office
applications regularly, and it was on a slowish machine. In any case,
it *does* make high demands on hardware.

I'll be sticking with emacs and TeX. (You can debate amongst yourselves
as to whether those, or Windows and MS Office, are what I consider the
first and second most bloated piece of software :-)

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services