Lombard PBG3 + kernel 2.2.12

Subject: Lombard PBG3 + kernel 2.2.12
From: Peter Foster (foster@onyx.si.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 22:24:47 MDT

Gives video acceleration + USB mouse + trackpad

Heaps of help from and thanks to Hugh Caley, and his page at
http://www.loomer.com/linuxppc/#lombard
I believe this is a slightly different strain of 2.2.12 than the
www.kernel.org one.
He keeps working on it, so what I have here is out of date already.
Here's how I remember doing the kernel upgrade.

When I did the install from the YDCS1.1 disc, I chose the Apple 1-button
ADB mouse, using mouseconfig. I did not repeat mouseconfig for the new
kernel, nor did I change /etc/sysconfig/mouse. Nor did I go thru
Xconfigurator again.

Get the kernel, systemmap, and modules from Hugh's page, and do what he
says with 'em. I put my kernel in the System Folder, tho.

Put Hugh's /etc/X11/XF86Config where it belongs, there. Adjust as he
suggests, commenting out in the Section "Pointer"
    Protocol "IMPS/2"
    Device "/dev/usbmouse"
and adding
    Protocol "MouseSystems"
    Device "/dev/gpmdata"
Or maybe he's fixed the 'other' file, so you don't need to even do that.

In BootX, use kernel args
    adb_buttons=103,111 video=atyfb:vmode:16,cmode:32,mclk:100
and of course the "No Video Driver" is unchecked.

Nice things to see in the startup messages:

kernel: Linux version 2.2.12 (root@hugh) (gcc version 2.95.1 19990809
(prerelease)) #5 Wed Sep 1 00:35:34 PDT 1999

kernel: atyfb: 3D RAGE LT PRO [0x4c49 rev 0xdc] 8M SDRAM, 29.498928 MHz
XTAL, 230 MHz PLL, 100 Mhz MCLK

kernel: Manufacturer: Contour Design
kernel: Product: UniMouse, USB
kernel: USB mouse found

To use the mouse and the trackpad, do the gpm together.
Note that YDCS1.1 starts gpm, so it needs to be killed first, or not
started.
I put these in my rc.local file. I assume it could be done more elegantly
by not starting gpm in the first place, but I have not quite figured out
how to control the booup process yet. I bet its really easy.

# restart (-k) gpm with 2 mice, first is the trackpad, second is the usb
mouse
echo "killing and restarting gpm"
gpm -k
gpm -t bm -m /dev/mouse -M -t ps2 -m /dev/usbmouse

I don't remember mucking with my /dev/mouse or /dev/usbmouse files. Or if
I did, I put them back the way I found them.

The two mice should both work outside of Xwindows.
Start x with
        startx -- -bpp 16

(When I shut down X, I get a lot of
        mach64CreateGC: unsupported depth: 16. Using cfbCreateGC instead.)

When I start it with -bpp 32, it gives me video artifacts, those diagonal
lines that I vaguely remember people complaining about.

ppp does not work for me. The kernel tells me that it does not support
ppp. Dang.

Odd stuff in the /usr/var/messages:
Sep 9 22:02:11 clintonite modprobe: can't locate module lo:0
Sep 9 22:02:11 clintonite modprobe: can't locate module lo:1
Sep 9 22:02:11 clintonite modprobe: can't locate module lo:2
Sep 9 22:02:11 clintonite modprobe: can't locate module lo:3
Sep 9 22:02:11 clintonite modprobe: can't locate module lo:4
Sep 9 22:02:11 clintonite modprobe: can't locate module lo:5

and so on. Same stuff for eth0:n. But in the messages it says that both
interfaces come up. And ifconfig confirms, I think. Odd.

Also in the messages, it says, on bootup,
rpc.nfsd: nfssvc: function not implemented
and then tells me that Starting keytable [FAILED] on the bootup screen,
but in the messages file it says "Starting keytable succeeded.", as

keytable: Loading keymap:
keytable: Loading /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/mac/mac-us-std.kmap.gz
keytable: Loading system font:
rc: Starting keytable succeeded

On shutdown, on the shutdown screen, it complains that NFS quotas or
daemon (too fast to see) is failing to be shut down.