Re: Update (was G3 PB video acceleration)

Subject: Re: Update (was G3 PB video acceleration)
From: Aaron Levitt (aaron@ultimatewisdom.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 12:17:53 MDT

[snip]
>Sounds like a wiener...could you specify exactly what you did to 'use
>Xpmac'?
>I have not been able to get Lyx to work other than on the console (i.e. not
>from an X server).
>
>Thanks
>Kit Baum

This is the way I did it. I am on a G3/300 powerbook wallstreet II model.
As far as I know this will work with all G3 powerbook series.

<Disclaimer>
YMMV (Your Model May Very), and all the other main disclaimers.
</Disclaimer>

1. Get the latest XFree86-Xpmac rpm. I got it from a friend's linuxppc CD.
I'm sure it's available on the linuxppc ftp site, or even on the yellow dog
CD (I did an ftp install so I'm not sure). For demonstration purposes I
used XFree86-Xpmac-3.3.3.1-49a.ppc.rpm since that is what I used.

2. At this point switch to root if arent root already and install the rpm.
[root@yourhost]# rpm -ivh XFree86-Xpmac-3.3.3.1-49a.ppc.rpm

3. [root@yourhost]# cd /etc/X11

4. [root@yourhost /etc/X11]# ln -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac X

5. you should double check to be sure you link is set properly (not really
needed.. but I like to be sure I didn't fat-finger something).
[root@yourhost /etc/X11]# ls -l X
your output should look like this:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root date time X -> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac

6. That should do it. Now just start X. I was told to use 'startx --
-mach64' by a friend.. I do. And it works. I'm not sure why.. but it
does. I just created an alias in my /etc/bashrc file to alias
startx="startx -- -mach64". If someone on the list knows why this works..
perhaps they may want to shed some light on this as well as if there are
any other variables that could go in place of the 'mach64' part.

One side note... the first time I ran X after switching to Xpmac everything
was REALLY slow. In fact, I thought netscape and crashed altogether. It
was just really slow. I just exited X, and then started it back up the
same way and it is awesome.

I hope this helps. I know it fixed all my X related issues.

-Aaron
/^\ ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
\ /
 X "We have solutions, just not for your computer"
/ \ --Microsoft Tech Support