Re: Update (was G3 PB video acceleration)

Subject: Re: Update (was G3 PB video acceleration)
From: Aaron Levitt (aaron@ultimatewisdom.com)
Date: Sat Sep 11 1999 - 08:59:34 MDT

[snip]
>The font quality dropped noticeably in some cases. I lost 3-button emulation
>altogether, though there is probably a fix for that. I didn't see much overall
>improvement in performance and for the things I tend to do a lot of, like
>vi'ng
>through source and such, the response was far worse with the Xpmac server;
>took
>longer to start the cursor moving, couldn't scroll smoothly, etc.

Darn.. maybe I went too fast when I sent that initial email.. because I
seem to have left out more than a couple details. As far as font quality
goes.. my quality is the same, except in wmakerconf (an extra utility to
tweak WindowMaker) where a few fonts are MIA. I think it's just a matter
of switching paths in a preference someplace.

As for the 3-button emulation.. Opt-2 and Opt-3 become middle and right
click respectively. Adding any info about the mouse in the kernel
arguments seems to have no effect. Personally, I dont really like these
keys as my mouse buttons since I am used to using my F11 and F12 keys. If
and when I find a way to change the keys.. I will let everyone know.

The last couple things, I didn't experience Jim. My speed is alot faster
with everything, vi, netscape, gimp, name it. My window scroll at about 3x
the speed they used to. Not sure why things are that slow for you. Only
thing I can think of is that 'Mach64' setting.. perhaps I should be
something else for the bronze G3's. Just my 2 pennies worth.

-Aaron
/^\ ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
\ /
 X "We have solutions, just not for your computer"
/ \ --Microsoft Tech Support