Re: ??"?

Subject: Re: ??"?
From: Darron Froese (darron@fudgehead.com)
Date: Sat Sep 11 1999 - 11:52:28 MDT

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Bernie Mentink wrote:

> Jim Cole wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I keep finding empty files named ??"? floating around my system;
> > actually it looks like it is really a y umlaut followed by a double
> > quote followed by a space. Any idea about what these are, why they are
> > there, and how to make them go away? Doesn't seem to hurt anything, but
> > I am getting tired of deleting them.
> >
> > System is a PowerBook G3 (Bronze Keyboard) with a stock CS 1.1 install
> > and all updates in place.
> >
> > Jim
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> I get the same thing. I don't have an answer though ... sorry.
> Just thought I'd let you know you wern't alone on this one.
>
> Cheers,
> Bernie.

Those files are created by a program called gmc (Gnome Midnight
Commander). It usually happens when gmc starts up and it a known issue
with certain versions of gmc.

They can be deleted safely and are nothing more than an annoyance. I think
they've fixed the problem in newer versions - upgrading it may help.

Darron
darron@fudgehead.com
<http://darron.odi.ca/>