Re: Bulding a new kernel was Re: PCI IDE controller

Subject: Re: Bulding a new kernel was Re: PCI IDE controller
phil@Stimpy.netroedge.com
Date: Sat Sep 11 1999 - 22:21:55 MDT

Can't you just get the kernel source from ftp.kernel.org, configure it,
build it, and install it? I doubt if the RedHat kernels would work
(unless they have PPC pre-builds?). Personally, I like building my own
kernels by hand to get the latest and streamlined for my hardware. But,
all the configuration choices can be a bit overwhelming to somebody who
hasn't done it before. (Btw- I'm talking from my experience w/ x86 Linux,
I don't know first hand for PPC machines.)

One important thing to remember, make sure the boot code knows about the
new kernel before you reboot! (Or, else the machine may never come back
up.) On x86 machines, you'd do a 'lilo' (asuming Lilo is being used as
the boot manager).

Phil

Philip Edelbrock -- IS Manager -- Edge Design, Corvallis, OR
   phil@netroedge.com -- http://www.netroedge.com/~phil
 PGP F16: 01 D2 FD 01 B5 46 F4 F0 3A 8B 9D 7E 14 7F FB 7A