Re: mounting hfs disk

Subject: Re: mounting hfs disk
From: Michael Messano (messano@dicomed.com )
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 09:34:53 MDT

>hi,
>
>i have a hfs partition that i tried to mount using
>
>mount -a -t hfs sdb5 /exchange
>
>the system responds that hfs file systems are not supporte by the
>kernel.
>
>did i forget to install something??
>
>thanks
>
>dave

        Unless you have compiled your own kernel/modules, hfs is
supported by the standard released kernels. I can't remember if it
is a module style, or directly compiled into the kernel, but you can
check if the module is loaded by typing "lsmod" (as root) at the
command prompt, which lists the loaded modules. If it isn't, try
"insmod hfs.o" which will load the module if it is available.
Lastly, I would try the full path of the device e.g. "mount -a -t hfs
/dev/sdb5 /exchange" and see if that helps.

Michael

Windows is not the answer. Windows is the question.
: The answer is No.