Re: xmms on a B&W G3

Subject: Re: xmms on a B&W G3
From: Michael Messano (messano@dicomed.com )
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 10:42:49 MDT

>Depends. If I'm in runmode 5, just a logout to XDM and back in works. if
>I'm in runmode 3 (usually) I do a complete exit out of X. Basically I am
>just wanting to stop all the gnome/enlightenment stuff and restart it
>clean. It's probably overkill, but it's worked so far.

        Cool. Thank you, very much. That was what I suspected.
It's good to know I am not the only one, since it is very
frustrating. I'll be giving that a try when I get to my machine.
        I also have another question. I have compiled my own kernel
with the setup from Robert Shaw's page along with Anthony Tong's
aty128 patch, and I have noticed some problems that seem to be
related directly to the window managers. They all occur in 32-bit
mode, but 8-bit is fine. When I start enlightenment as my window
manager, it quickly segfaults. This is reproducible by going into
e-conf and trying to reset the background image. The image I use,
just for the sake of being explicit, is Above Endor.jpg pulled from
some theme or another. I can browse to the image, load it, and when
I try to move a window, enlightenment segfaults right away. It will
eventually segfault on it's own, but it takes awhile. On the other
hand, Windowmaker runs great, and doesn't crash on me. However, if i
switch to a text-based console and then back again, the colormap is
way messed up, and I have to log out and restart X. Other than that,
the patch is a beautiful thing.
        So, I guess my question is this: How much success have you
had with 32-bit with the ATY128?

Michael

Windows is not the answer. Windows is the question.
: The answer is No.