MySQL on YDL, LinuxPPC, et al

Subject: MySQL on YDL, LinuxPPC, et al
From: Jason P. Stanford (jps3@lehigh.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 15:35:40 MDT

  I'm sure this has been asked a million times already, but I *cannot*
find any definitive info on this subject. I got the source rpm for
3.22.25, modified the SPEC file to exclude the "--enable-assembler" flag
and (temporarily) use the "--without-perl" flag. I can build the
binaries, and install them, but they always fail to run because of the
following:

990913 17:29:54 /usr/sbin/mysqld: Incorrect information in file:
'./mysql/host.frm'

  I see occassional references in postings to this newsgroup that people
do have MySQL up and running. What are the parameters necessary to make
this happen? I don't want to put Postgres on, then a month or two down
the road have to deal with switching and moving to MySQL. A lot of the
PHP3 and Perl scripts I have written interface with MySQL, and would be
a big pain (for now) to debug and "port" to Postgres.

  Any help of tips would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!