Re: install error: ftp, ramdisk

Subject: Re: install error: ftp, ramdisk
From: Aaron Levitt (aaron@ultimatewisdom.com)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 08:58:10 MDT

[snip]
>I'm trying to install yellowdog by ftp on a g3 pwbk. Bootx is 1.1.3 . When
>I boot to install, I get up to the first attempt to use ftp- dialogue
>requires server and then directory for yellowdog. Then the computer looks
>up base/stage2.img and tells me that it can't find the second stage
>ramdisk. I got it to work once, adjusting the directory pathway; the same
>pathway that worked once is not working again.

This means you dont have the path set correctly. Make sure you use all the
files from the same site. Don't use the Ramdisk from one site and the
vmlinux from another. You will end up with wierd problems. In your path,
make sure you have the directory that has the Redhat directory in it. In
most cases.. it should start with pub/ (notice no / at the beginning) and
end with /ppc. When I set mine up.. it looked like this:

Site: rpmfind.net
dir : linux/yellowdog/champion-1.1/ppc

The directory is organized as follows:
(as found on the CDROM)

  |----> RedHat
           |----> RPMS -- binary packages
           |----> base -- small filesystem setup archives
           |----> extras -- extra binary package
           |----> instimage -- image used for some installs
  |----> doc -- various FAQs and HOWTOs
  |----> install -- contains all the necessary install files
  |----> live -- boot the installer right off the cdrom
  |----> COPYING -- copyright information
  |----> README -- this file
  |----> CREDITS -- list of people of people who directly
                                  contributed to this release
  |----> RPM-PGP-KEY -- contains Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
                                  PGP public key information used to
                                  verify RPM packages

This is just a mirror site of yellowdoglinux.com. It seemed closer to me
and had slightly better speeds. If you arent sure you have the right
directory, FTP to it using fetch or another app and ensure you have the
directory with Redhat in it.

These are all the little things that I did when I did it. Keep in mind
YMMV and all the other disclaimer stuff.

-Aaron
/^\ ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
\ /
 X "We have solutions, just not for your computer"
/ \ --Microsoft Tech Support