General Help for Unix (Linux)

Subject: General Help for Unix (Linux)
From: Stephen Lewis (lewis@napanet.net)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 17:03:20 MDT

As I read this list it is clear that there are a number
of folks who are new to Unix (I include Linux). Here
are a few pointers which will help.
1/ There are hidden files. They begin with a "." - you can
see them if you use 'ls -a | more'
2/ Hidden files are executed when you 1) login, 2) start a shell 3)
logout
- They are - .bash_profile (for bash) and .bashrc and .bash_logout -
take
a look in them 'more .bashrc' - add a line like 'echo "running bashrc"'
help see when they run.
3/ Your whole shell experience depends upon environment variables. They
can be seen using 'printenv'.
4/ If you want to know about some topic try the following in order:
'help topic'
'man topic'
'apropos topic'
Stephen Lewis