Re: ulimit error on login

Subject: Re: ulimit error on login
From: chuck's list account (cglist@mac-mgrs.org)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 17:22:25 MDT

>What does this "ulimit" thing do? ...and does removing it from
>/etc/profile have any consequences beyond eliminating the error?

Well I have been clued to a certain extent...

At 4:03 PM -0700 9/14/99, Stephen Lewis wrote:
>4/ If you want to know about some topic try the following in order:
>'help topic'

I've been doing unix since 91, but never thought of typing "help
(anything)" before. =)

The help page for ulimit indicated that the line in question in the
/etc/profile was designed to limit the size of that user's core files.

That's not a bad thing to set a limit on I guess, so now the question
that begs is: Why that ulimit operation is not permitted on my system?

Thanks!

-chuck