Kernel weirdness

Subject: Kernel weirdness
From: Tom Tarka (tommy@mp3.com)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 15:33:38 MDT

Ok, here's some weirdness for you. I'll be verbose so I only have to
say it once. Any help would be appreciated (the machine is still
running
and still needs help).

HW: 400 MHz G4, linux installed on external 9G wide SCSI drive (no mac
partitions)

What's up:

The load has gone to 5.99 and is holding there. Attempts to soft reboot
have failed, and several procs in the proclist have
the status "D".

What happened:

Started xxms, tried to play an mp3. Got a "cannot open device" error.
Ran MAKEDEV audio in /dev
Pressed play again. mp3 apparently plays but no sound out of my
headphones.

Meanwhile, I'm copying heaps of files from another machine on the net
using scp
and I get this message:

Message from syslogd@ at Thu Sep 16 13:08:36 1999 ...
 kernel: Kernel panic: kernel access of bad area pc c0045000 lr c0044f08
address 24 tsk scp/13444

So I kill the client scp (on the other machine) and then attempt to kill
the local scp and fail. Can't
unmount the disk to run fsck on it because the scp process is still
hanging around (with stat "D") and
umount hangs.

Attempt to shutdown:

[root@ tommy]# shutdown -r -F 0

Gdk-ERROR **: an x io error occurred
aborting...
Aborted

Attempt to sync;sync;reboot --- hangs.

Any ideas? I've still got an open xterm to the machine and it's still
up, but I can't seem to reboot it (w/o a hard reboot, of course)
and I was wondering what the cause of my problems might be (just copying
too many files and the kernel buffer can't keep up? the
disk can't keep up?)

Thanks,